Greater Mt Gravatt Mansfield Lions Club (Inc)

District 201Q1 Queensland Australia

About Us

Greater Mt Gravatt-Mansfield Lions Club History

The club has served the Community Service needs of the Mt Gravatt-Mansfield area continuously since its formation in 2009. 

As our Club is dedicated to helping those in need, there is an endless list of the ways in which we have aided and assisted the people of the community in need of our service. We work hard to raise funds in a variety of ways to enable us to achieve our publicized purpose of, "giving freely of our time, labour and means", in the pursuit of giving help and comfort to those of the community who need our assistance.

We have assisted the youth in our area by developing the Youth of the Year Quest for year 12 Students. We promote Peace through our International Peace Poster Contest Project for 11 to 13 year olds.

The list of people and organisations supported by the Greater Mt Gravatt-Mansfield Lions Club goes on, and on, and on. Needless to say we hope that the Club itself will go on, and on, and on, well into the future.

We have given donations to the local Meals On Wheels Service so they can continue their vital work in the Community. We support a variety of both Community Projects and individuals namely Blue Care Respite Centre; Spiritus Care; as well as St Barts Youth Hostel. We have also helped various schools in the area namely Seville Rd S/S where we provided the money to run a course to assist Non English speaking parents We purchased a Hearing Assistance system for a classroom at Mansfield State School. For the Mt Gravatt East Primary School Fife and Marching band we donated some money for Band Equipment etc.

We provide donations to help with natural disasters such as the Tasmanian and Victorian Fire appeals; New Zealand Earthquake appeal; and the Bundaberg Floods which was raised by having a sausage sizzle at Bunnings Mt Gravatt. We continue to provided assistance to individuals, Lions Organisations and Community Organisations both here and overseas.

Here is the club constitution for anyone interested

 

 

  

 

Membership is open to all people of the community in good standing.

This website is where you can find out about our Club and what we do and the good times to be had

 

 

Mt Gravatt History

It may have been farming land that originally drew settlers to the Mt Gravatt area, but it was the major thoroughfare, Logan Road, that really transformed the suburb into a hub.

Logan Road was actually originally known as 'Slack's Track,' after early settler, William Slack, used the track to move his cattle through the area. The track was remaned Logan Road after a survey in 1864.

According to Brian Randall from the State Library of Queensland, Mount Gravatt itself has been a part of history since the early 1800s. "The first evidence we've got of Mt Gravatt in the record is the sighting and recording of the mountain by John Oxley, while he was doing his explorations in 1923-24," says Brian.

Mt Gravatt was first named in about 1840, after Lieut. George Gravatt, who was commandant of the Moreton Bay Penal Colony in 1839.

The early settlers in the area were mainly farmers, including a number of Germans who moved to Mt Gravatt in the 1860s and settled in the German Bridge area, towards Holland Park: the Glindemann, Dyer, Eikendorff, Lutz, Eberhardt and Steigmann families. The Steigmanns established a wine making business near the corner of the Logan and Shire Roads, while the Glindemanns established Glindemann's Highfield Dairy.

A number of these settlers and other are honoured by local road names, including Glindemann, Toohey, Swain, Holland and Klumpp.

Mt Gravatt Village was originally built to meet the needs of local farmers, traders and residents. Garden City was built in 1970.

1860s - German settlers;1865 - Cobb & Co coach service1867 - Brisbane - Nerang mail service1874 - Mt Gravatt State School. The first building was eventually moved to the Showgrounds site. The first headmaster was John Stewart Beech1874 - Mt Gravatt Show opened in Logan Road1877 - Post Office1880 - Congregational Church, Logan Road, Mt. Gravatt. Said to be the first church in the Mt. Gravatt area1882 - Mt Gravatt Hotel1885 - Opening of the Beenleigh Rail line diminished the importance of Logan Road1890s - Anglican Church began with a small mission1893 - Mt Gravatt and surrounding parkland declared a public reserve1914 - First road to the top of Mt. Gravatt opened1918 - Mt Gravatt Show Society purchases land for the Showgrounds1921 - St Agnes' Catholic Church1923 - War Memorial Hall erected on the corner of Logan Road and Creighton Street - an important community centre1951 - Tram services to the area commence1961 - Mt Gravatt Drive-In Shopping Centre (Big Top)1970 - 1 October, Garden City Shopping Centre

Horse bus transporting passengers at Mount Gravatt

 

Horsedrawn bus on Logan Road at Mount Gravatt

Crowd observing the first tram in Mount Gravatt, 1951

People outside the German Bridge Hotel at Mount Gravatt

 Horse bus transporting passengers at Mount Gravatt

Horsedrawn bus on Logan Road at Mount Gravatt

 

Crowd observing the first tram in Mount Gravatt, 1951

 

People outside the German Bridge Hotel at Mount Gravatt

 

RACQ car rally at the Mount Gravatt showgrounds, ca. 1935

Man driving a horsedrawn carriage in Mount Gravatt

Wheelbarrow race at the Mount Gravatt Showgrounds, Brisbane, ca. 1935

Group of men attending a car rally at Mount Gravatt, 1913

RACQ car rally at the Mount Gravatt showgrounds, ca. 1935

 

Man driving a horsedrawn carriage in Mount Gravatt

 

Wheelbarrow race at the Mount Gravatt Showgrounds, Brisbane, ca. 1935

 

Group of men attending a car rally at Mount Gravatt, 1913

 

Scurr Bros Motor Body Builders at Mount Gravatt, ca. 1952

Klumpp family outside their home at Mount Gravatt

Glindemann dairy cart at Mount Gravatt, ca. 1914

George Chester and family outside their home in Mount Gravatt

Scurr Bros Motor Body Builders at Mount Gravatt, ca. 1952  Klumpp family outside their home at Mount Gravatt Glindemann dairy cart at Mount Gravatt, ca. 1914  George Chester and family outside their home in Mount Gravatt